Thursday 11 March 2010

Fifth book of 2010

Finding Serenity: Anti-heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Josh Whedon's "Firefly" by a collection of writers, edited by Jane Espenson.

This is one of the books my ex-colleagues got me from my Amazon wish list (bless).

I just loved the TV series Firefly. It was well-written, with real people characters, detailed worldbuilding, delicious dialogue, brilliant humour, and story arcs that you could see going the distance.

And then it was cancelled. Boo.

This is a collection of essays and thoughts about the show, looking at various aspects such as the nature of freedom, warrior women, the crossover between genres, the different cultures, etc. It was an interesting read, but somehow not as inspirational as I had hoped! Ah well, I still loved reading about it and I will probably buy the next book, Serenity Found, which is more of the same -- but this time taking into account the Serenity movie which hadn't been released at the time of the first book.

0 comments: