Tuesday 6 July 2010

On teeth

Last week, I went to the dentist. I got an NHS checkup (totaling ~5 minutes - the dude basically counts that I still have teeth, does some xrays, then waves me merrily out the door) and a private "hygiene treatment" which is polite dental speak for scraping, poking, twanging and grinding mouth torture.

Anyway. Everybody hates the dentist so I don't need to continue on about how horrible it is. The visit is worthy of mentioning, however, because for the very first time that I can remember in my entire life, the dentist did not tell me I needed further work.

That's awesome.

I also really liked the hygienist -- despite the torture she inflicted on me -- because she talked about where I am not getting to properly with my brushing and recommended a good toothpaste and what else I could be doing to take care of my teeth and so on. All the added-value stuff you expect your dentist to do, only he doesn't because he's paid by the NHS, and that's why you pay extra money to get a private service like a hygiene treatment...

I am a firm believer in looking after your teeth. After all, you only get the two sets and the first set doesn't count! I also haaaate the dentist, just like you. So I haven't been as good about going as often as I should. I do, however, take really good care of my teeth at home every day. I even floss. Okay, not every day (the hygienist told me off for that) but on average, 4 times a week.

Better than not flossing, I reckon.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh. I remember having the same experience in London - exactly.
I can't believe that there are people out there who don't floss, honestly.
How's your writing coming along?
Libby