Thursday 7 January 2010

"fish" and "escape"

The scene outside my window at work is very pretty today: the graveyard covered in a light blanket of snow, with the winter yellow sun shining through the trees. Trails of fox prints through the headstones.

Two weeks left here and then I'll be starting my new job - very exciting!

Yesterday I wrote about half of a new short story, which was born out of prompts from my also-a-writer colleague Geoff ("fish" and "escape"). Love the rush of a new story idea. Title for this one will be something about climbing.

The evil television

After writing, I watched an episode of Celebrity Big Brother. Think it's an interesting dynamic between celebs because they expect everyone around them to know who they are and their body of work. Quite a few "look at me now" sorts of comments, and some barely-covered-by-polite-faces that say, "I can't belieeeve you didn't know that about me"...

Then I saw a TV ad for Ready Brek which has the leek spinning song on it. Which prompted more visits to the leekspin site and watching videos on YouTube!

There's a Basshunter remix of Leekspin here! (a nice connection, seeing as Mr Basshunter himself is in Celebrity Big Brother)

And here's the band singing the original song, a traditional Finnish folk polka:




Hypnotic and catchy, right? Right? Or is just me, obsessed by leekspin. I'm going to try and find the Basshunter remix to download.

More for 2010:


So, I want to do some Good Reading this year, of Important and Interesting books that I Haven't Read Before. Might build myself a reading list and tick them off as I go. Here's what I got so far:

(Currently reading) The Fire Gospel by Michael Faber

Dune by Frank Herbert

It by Stephen King

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you, writing away and still having time to read! Thanks for the comment, too.
A book I'm keen to read is Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath - can't believe I've never read it. Have you?
Just finished reading Alison Wong's 'As the Earth Turns Silver' - she's a Wellington poet and this is a pretty amazing novel. Worth a read, for sure.
Keep warm, Kate!!!
Libby