Saturday 16 January 2010

the road on the big screen


I saw The Road last night. (It has just been released here in the UK. I hate how movies take 17 million years to get to this country after being released everywhere else).

When I saw the trailer for the movie a few months ago, I was super doubtful. It looked... colourful. The book is grey. How could they translate this book into a film? It's the best story I've read in the last 3 years. So I felt a little protective.

Well, Mr Director Man, I apologise. And Mr Screen Writer Man. You did good. Real good. This is possibly the best book adaptation I've ever seen. True to the book, evoking all the same responses and absorption. I was really impressed.

I loved it.

So, here's an interview with Cormac McCarthy about the movie -- the Wall St Journal managed to wrangle an interview from the private fellow -- alongside John Hillcoat, the director. It's a really great interview, about themes and writing and turning books into movies and apocalypses and fatherhood and luck... so do read it.

0 comments: