Wednesday 3 February 2010

A post before i start my proper writing tonight

Oh noes, I think I am getting a cold. Must be my new commute, mashed in to the tube with all the other commuters.

So far the new job has been good! Am still learning the ropes (I think I am finally figuring out what my company actually *does*). The new place is more corporate so I have said goodbye to my jeans & sneakers during the week. I quite like dressing smarter though (also a good excuse to go shopping...) My new colleagues are a friendly bunch of people. Really nice offices, but no fridges, microwaves or kettles! This makes lunch quite difficult / expensive! Anyway, I look forward to getting my teeth into the role. Gnarrrr.

Writing-wise, last weekend I did none! In fact, I had a deliciously lazy weekend, I didn't even go to the gym or for a swim. I needed to zone out for a couple of days -- meeting for coffee, a touch of shopping, painting nails, watching TV shows, reading the Sunday paper. I imagine this would be a normal weekend for non-writers. I often think about how writing is like having another job -- part-time and unpaid. Like a charity. Run by the guilt monkey.


Here's some of the interesting stuff I've read recently... I tweeted a few of these if you follow me on Twitter:

NY Times article: How radiation therapy can harm as well as do good. Quite long, but a fascinating & scary & quite sad read. Highly recommended. I would be interested to know comparable accident rates for the UK and NZ -- I hope UK & NZ are better than the USA, due to the different healthcare system models.

E-Consultancy blog: An interview with the guys who set up Hungry House. Duffman & I order a lot through this website, which gathers local restaurants together and allows you to order via the site. You can see ratings from other people on every restaurant. It's a great idea -- although another site, Just-Eat, has been doing it for longer!

John Scalzi's blog: his take on "Amazonfail" (the big hoopla when Amazon threw its toys in a childlike tantrum over a conflict with Macmillan on ebook pricing, and temporarily delisted all Macmillan books from the Amazon website). Scalzi's analysis is hilarious and spot on. Righteous author anger! He also has a few other posts about it. Go read now!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm shocked that there are no kettles... you can't even make tea??? WTF?

kates writing said...

They have a super hot water tap for making tea, and coffee machines for coffee. But it's not the same :( Especially as you have to use those little UHT capsules of milk instead of proper milk.